HomeMy AccountShopping Cart
 Realtime Stock Updates - Check back frequently!
Zone 6b (Ashburn, Virginia) (?) (Change) (Reset)
Disabled-Veterned Owned & Operated
Slender Crookstem Bamboo
Slender Crookstem Bamboo Grows well in Ashburn! Out Of Stock
Slender Crookstem Bamboo

Poaceae Phyllostachys Bambusoides Slender Crookstem

  • $107.97
  • $79.97
  • -$28.00 (26% Off!)
Availability and Options Temporarily Out Of Stock

This product is temporarily out of stock. Restocks typically occur at the beginning of each week. Check back soon and sorry for the inconvenience!

Shipping Information
Grows InZone 6A · -10° to -5° F through Zone 11 · Above 40° F
Grows in Ashburn! (Learn More)
Sun ExposureFull / Mostly Sun, Morning Sun / Evening Shade, Morning Shade / Evening Sun
Soil DrainageWell Drained, Moderately Drained
Resistent ToHeat
Foliage ColorMedium Green, Dark Green
Average Height30' to 40', 40' to 50'
Average Width.5' to 1'
AttractsWildlife, Songbirds / Birds
Additional Information About Slender Crookstem Bamboo


Slender Crookstem is a very fast growing giant! Rare in cultivation this beauty is tough. One of the giant bamboo with canes that are very hard, making very high quality wood. It is highly prized for use in construction and in crafts. The cane sheaths are a pretty reddish green color. The auricles and oral setae are very distinct. About 90% of the culms are straight with the other 10% having "crooks." The new shoots of this bamboo are very tasty. 

Slender Crookstem is a running bamboo, which means it spreads. Bamboo can be easily controlled in a small area (a normal city yard) simply by mowing or stepping on the young shoots that emerge one time a year in spring or by root pruning. New shoots could also be used for culinary purposes and cooked, much like asparagus. Keep in mind that running bamboo only puts up new shoots for a short time each year, and when they are "shooting", the new plants are very fragile and easy to destroy. Root pruning, a Bamboo Root Barrier or growing plants in above- or below-ground containers are other methods to control spread.

Gardener Direct also carries Bamboo fertilizer and planting soil containing Biochar, a highly porous material that allows for long term water and nutrient holding capabilities. 


Containers/Pots: Good
Crafts: Good
Edible: Excellent
Hedge: Too tall
Indoor: Too large
Ornamental: Good
Privacy Screen: Okay, high branching
Specimen: In containers or when controlled in ground
Wood Quality: Excellent


USDA Cold Hardiness Zones: 6A-11
Type: Clumping, Running
Height: Up to 48'
Spread: 5'+ with no control
Culm Diameter: 3"
Sun: Full to Mostly Sun but will tolerate part shade
Soil: Average, well-drained
Growth Rate: Fast



Helpful Related Articles Provided by Our Experts...

How To Plant Bamboo

How To Fertilize and Water Bamboo Plants

How To Prune Bamboo Plants

See all BAMBOO categories >

Slender Crookstem Bamboo on Gardenality.com
New Arrivals at Gardener Direct